2 Medium Size Carrots
2 Stalks Celery
2 Cloves Garlic
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 lb. Ground Beef (preferably 75-80% lean-more flavor)
2 Strips of Bacon or 2 Slices of Pancetta
1/3 cup Tomato Paste (can substitute 28oz can of Crushed Tomatoes or Kitchen Ready)
1 Cup White Wine
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup Milk
1 Bay Leaf
1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Salt & Pepper to taste
Grated Parmigiana Cheese
- Finely chop or process carrots, celery, onion and garlic into fine paste
- Heat oil add beef in 3 or 4 patties. Resist the urge to turn. Let brown well and the flip and brown on other side. Remove beef to bowl. Set aside
- Add bacon and brown. Remove and add to bowl with beef.
- Add vegetables. Cook over low flame 5 mins until vegetables look dry
- Return beef and bacon to pot with vegetables. Break up beef with spoon.
- Add tomato paste and cook 3-5 minutes until it looks deep red and starts to stick to pot
- Deglaze pot with white wine. Cook 5-7 minutes until wine is cooked out and vegetables and meat look dry again.
- Add chicken stock, milk, bay leave and nutmeg. Simmer on low for 1 hour 30 mins. You want sauce to be thick but not too thick and dry. Use your spoon to pull back on sauce in pot. If you notice liquid, then cook a little more. When you pull back on spoon sauce should stay where it is.
- Bring large pot of water to boil and cook 1lb pasta. Add one cup of pasta water to Bolognese. When pasta is cooked scoop directly into sauce.
Top with lots of grated Parmigiana cheese!