For the Donuts:
- 250 grams of flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons soft unsalted butter
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, eggs and warm water. Mix on low 4 minutes. While the mixer is still running add cubes of room temp soft butter a little piece at a time. Making sure dough is well mixed before adding the next cube.
- When all of the butter is fully incorporated use a rubber spatula to clean dough from sides of bowl. Dough is sticky. Place dough in oiled bowl covered with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise until double it’s size.
- Punch down and dump on lightly floured surface. Pat out to 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Use a 2 1/2 inch round cutter to cut out doughnuts. Place on a parchment lined sheet dusted with a little flour to prevent them from sticking. Cover sheet with plastic wrap or clean dish towel and place back in warm location until they are puffy (45 minutes-hour)
- Make vanilla custard while the doughnuts are rising. Chill in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap so that wrap touches top of custard to prevent a film from forming.
- Heat oil in electric fry pan or on top of stove until it reaches 300 degrees. Fry doughnuts for 5-6 minutes on each side. They will look like they are barely frying but that is good because they need to cook all the way through. They will have a light strip in the middle but that is ok.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Using a pastry bag and round tip fill donuts from side with vanilla custard.
- For the glaze heat the heavy cream over low flame until just steaming. Pour over chocolate chips in bowl and whisk until smooth and shiny. Dip tops of doughnuts into chocolate glaze!
For the Vanilla Custard:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combined all ingredients in small sauce pan. Whisk well. Put over low flame and continue to whisk until thickens. Scoop into bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill.
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Heat heavy cream over low flame until just steaming. Pour over chocolate chips and let sit for a minute until chocolate chips start to melt. Whisk until it forms a smooth glaze. Set aside.
**CHECK OUT IRIS MAKE THE DONUTS ON YOUTUBE!
Iris’ Boston Cream Donuts Youtube